All revised manuscripts will be handled by the outgoing editorial team (Jeffrey Inman, Margaret Campbell, Amna Kirmani, and Linda Price) until March 31, 2021.
All revised manuscripts (including conditional acceptances) submitted on or after April 1, 2021 will be assigned to a new editor.
If you are submitting an invited revision (including conditional acceptances) of a manuscript that was previously handled in ScholarOne:
- Log in to your author account and create a revision in the “Manuscripts Awaiting Revision” queue
- When prompted to respond to the editor’s decision from the previous round, you may enter your revision notes (see detailed instructions below) as text in the response field or attach a file
- If you are attaching your revision notes as a file, do not enter the full text of your revision notes
- Do not reveal author identities in your response (it will be shared with the entire review team)
- If you would like to provide confidential comments to the editor and AE, you may enter a separate confidential cover letter to the editor and AE in Step 6 of the resubmission process
If you are submitting an invited revision of a manuscript that was handled in our legacy system on the previous round (i.e., before April 1, 2018):
- Submit the revised manuscript as a new submission in ScholarOne (the system will assign a new manuscript number)
- You will not be prompted to respond to the editor’s decision from the previous round
- Instead, choose the “Revision notes” file designation and upload your revision notes (see detailed instructions below) when you upload your manuscript file and web appendix (if applicable) during Step 2
- Provide the previous manuscript number when prompted during Step 6 and in your confidential cover letter to the editor
The managing editor will provide the editor, associate editor, and reviewers with the files and review materials from the previous round
- Effective January 1, 2021, revisions must be resubmitted within one year (exceptions may be made based on the specific circumstances of the author team)
- Revision notes (see detailed instructions below) are required unless otherwise indicated in the editor’s decision letter
- Contribution statements are not required for invited revisions
- The data collection paragraph should be updated with each revision
- The author note should be updated with each revision
- Any changes in authorship (addition, removal, or reordering of authors) should be noted in the confidential cover letter to the editor
- To maintain continuity, the same AE and reviewers are usually assigned to invited revisions even if the editor changes (e.g., due to an editor’s term ending)
- If something in the editor’s decision letter or the review materials is unclear or inconsistent, authors may request clarification from the editor before revising their manuscript, but we do not provide or approve formal revision plans
When submitting an invited revision, you must also submit revision notes (unless otherwise indicated by the editor). Your revision notes should provide an overview of how you addressed the broad issues and concerns summarized in the editor’s decision letter and the AE report.
Your revision notes will be shared with the entire review team. You may provide very brief separate comments to individual reviewers, but this is not necessary; everything can go into the overview focused on the decision letter and the AE report. The AE’s role is to integrate and prioritize reviewer concerns, and assigning an AE to each manuscript ensures that authors are not pulled in multiple directions to please a disparate set of reviewers.
- Unless otherwise specified in the editor’s decision letter, keep your revision notes brief (no more than 15 pages) and avoid repetition
- Your revision notes may be single-spaced but must otherwise follow our manuscript formatting guidelines
- Do not include author names or other identifying information
- Do not respond or refer to trainee reviews
- Do not refer to page numbers in the manuscript when discussing changes to your manuscript (the page numbers may change after manuscript conversion)